The Department of Public Works is responsible for maintaining and operating the Village of Owego's public infrastructure. These duties of the department include the following:
- Maintain and provide services (snow and ice control, curbside leaf pickup, street sweeping, storm cleanup, etc.)
- Maintain and repair all Village-owned streets
- Maintain and upkeep all public parking lots, public parks and greenspace, and public sidewalks along village-owned land, including snow and ice removal
- Maintain and upkeep the Sanitary Sewer System for household and business sewage
- Maintain and upkeep the Storm Sewer System, including catch basins, for the conveyance and storage of snow and rain runoff
- Maintain and upkeep Street and Traffic Lights at Church and Main St.
- Maintain and replace trees in the Village’s Rights-of-Way
- Provide maintenance, repair, service and fuel to the Village’s fleet of vehicles, including Police, Fire, Public Works and Administration
- Operate, maintain and repair street equipment
The Street Department/DPW does NOT collect trash and recyclables
By law, property owners are responsible for pickup at rental properties. Your trash must be placed at the curb in standard sized garbage cans no larger than 33 gallons. Trash should be set out no sooner than 6:00 p.m. on the day before your pickup and empty containers must be removed from the curb before 11:00 p.m. on the day of pickup.